Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Itchiest VD

Unlike everyone else who claims to hate Valentine’s day because it’s a corporate holiday based in card and candy sales, I just find it unpleasant it because I’m single. I am not ashamed to say that I will most likely spend this Valentine’s planning out where to shop for clearance chocolate and will inevitably end up watching The Notebook on my computer. Okay, I’m a little ashamed. But as ashamed as I may be, I have plenty of Netflix movies in my queue to lighten the emotional burden. No worries. 


 

   “Do you think our love is strong enough to take us away together?”

I’m getting to an age where holidays are exciting again. This is bad news. Now I know that I have officially left behind the days of my life where I had enough general fun that I didn’t need a specified day to tell me that life was exciting.


The harsh nature of Valentine’s Day is not new to me. We all felt the sting of childhood when we would hand out our small pop culture infused valentines cards in elementary school. It was proof of the hierarchy we were all too familiar with. We tried to impress our friends and the popular kids with the best of the valentines cards while shunning those we hated with the worst. It was the difference between getting a valentines day wish from the Red Power Ranger and getting one from the Putties. You knew where you stood with someone based on the Valentine they gave you. It was an unspoken and a universal rule, and it was FUN. 




I was never this popular. But hey, it’s my blog.

There was also that bittersweet resentment for the people who had candy attached to their Valentines. This was no Halloween. It was candy based on love, not merit. They really knew how to break kids down at Oak Knoll.


On an unrelated note, I have striven not to forget the true heart of this blessed holiday. Take a moment and think of Anna Howard Shaw and her contributions to this country.





What a woman. Well I’m a bust man, so I’ve got to get back to reading all of your facebook statuses so I can revel in your proclamations of happy relationships!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers

Popular Posts