Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Snow Day like Today

Today is the first snow day I’ve had since my Sophomore year of college! It started out with me staying up way too late Monday night, as usual. After watching a few documentaries on Netflix I found myself chatting with my friend Joey on Facebook. That makes two corporate plugs in this blog post so far.






Joey and I chatted about how tired we both were and how nice it would be to have oatmeal. Then, as a spontaneous gesture I clicked over to the Illinois State homepage and saw the two most magical words in the English language.





No, not any of those two words… I’m talking “SNOW DAY”! As I reveled in the good news with Joey, we knew that there was only one thing to do at 5:40am on a snow day, and that was go to McDonald’s. We met up outside of my apartment and to our shock and confusion we found that there really wasn’t that much snow… at all.  In the cold, night air we saw what was at most 3 inches of snow on the ground. All the roads were clear. Also, it wasn’t snowing. It was truly a Black History Month miracle- a snow day with no falling snow! We were ecstatic, none-the-less, and we began our walk through the bitter cold to our destination.





As we neared the entrance to the best fast food in town we panicked for a moment fearing that McDonald’s might be closed. Alas, it was open further proving that McDonald’s has never let anyone down!


Except maybe this girl.


We arrived and ordered our McOatmeal and then basked in its warmth. As we sipped our McCoffee we realized we were among the few McBrave enough to face the McMorning.
 




The other customers were senior citizens who were getting their breakfast for a discount. I guess that’s the birthday to look forward to after 21. One man in particular struck our attention. He wore his beanie hat perched high on his head where it could not possibly be keeping the cold out. As he sat and read his paper we realized how much he looked like a forgotten villain from a Where’s Waldo? book.



Old Gus and his Tuesday morning McCoffee.

So a very Happy Snow Day to all! I’m off to further ruin my already botched sleep schedule.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews

Followers

Popular Posts